Monday, April 21, 2008

Will It Ever Get Easier?

As each moment in life passes by, I find myself wondering if it will ever get easier? I know that many people say it will only take time to heal and others find themselves saying “Life must go on." I always wonder what it must mean to “Move On?” I don’t ever see myself really “Moving On.” To move on means that you must forget what you had and to move forward without those memories that make each moment in life worth it. How can I ever find myself doing that? At this very moment moving on would mean that each day would go on the same as it did, which we all know does not. I do know that time heals all, but how much time? I know it has only been 2 months and I know that is not enough time to move forward with out feeling the same pain as I do now, but really enough is enough. I find myself saying “I’m tired of crying,” and the truth is, I am. I hate that with every song on the radio my reaction is tears. I hate that there is no longer a Priesthood holder in our home to comfort and protect us. I hate that we will never feel the same blessings that he had brought into our home. The empty chair at the dinner table, the empty spot on the couch next to my Mom, the car missing in the driveway, and a spirit that is no longer here are all the things which make me not want to “Move On.” So for those who say “Life still goes on” has something coming!
It is strange that a picture I walk by everyday on the way to my bedroom has a different effect on me. I can walk by and smile for the good times we had or I can stop, look, and cry for the memories I will no longer have. That one picture can say so many words without really saying a thing.



A smile from Abbey has so many effects as well. I feel pain because Abbey will never know how wonderful her Papa was, I feel guilty because she does not have the memories as I do, and I feel blessed that they had six months together! I know that it has become my obligation to help her know truly how wonderful her Papa was, how much he loved her, and that each action he made was for another person’s gain. I also know that it is up to me to make sure she understands the power of influence he had on all of our lives and how grateful we were to have him at all! I just hate that I have to be the one to tell her and that he can not be the one to show her.
I know that with each passing milestone I will feel pain and sorrow that he could not be here to watch and see the proud accomplishments. Abbey’s first birthday will only be tears knowing he never made it, which only makes it worse. When each baby receives their name and a blessing I will walk out of Sacrament meeting with tears rolling down my cheek wondering who will ever be good enough to bless my next child. With each and every moment in life, I will wonder why he couldn’t have been there? I know that this is just the beginning of a very hard and rocky road that I must face head on, but I still wonder why it had to be him? As my Mom says, “He was just spiritually ready.” Well, in that case, let’s all make sure our children and family members are not spiritually ready anytime soon. I know I will never know the answer to the question “Why him” until I am with him once again and I know I will one day be alright knowing that he is with me in spirit. I just hope it is someday very soon!
I know that life will always throw you a curve ball and it just depends on how you swing the bat, but let me tell you, I have been swinging the bat for quite some time. I know that eventually it will get easier, but I just want to know when? I also know that people are looking out for my best interest and that people are praying for our family. I do know these things, but my bitterness is what shows through. I know I am loved and supported throughout all of this and that I do have friends I can lean on, and let me tell you I am truly grateful for it all!!! I do want to say that I love each and everyone of you who do care, who do try to understand, and who listen no matter what!

5 comments:

queen~e said...

I think the entire first year is a roller coaster. Everything you are feeling is completly normal, and part of a bigger process. ((Giant hugs)) Lean on those friends and embrace your emotions as they change. And have faith. Faith that there is a reason. Faith that the blessings of the priesthood will be avaliable to you. Faith that Abbey will know her Papa. Faith in the sealing power, that your family will be together again.

I wish there was an easy way. I'd say I wish I could take your pain, but there is Another who has already done that. He truly knows your sorrow. Pour your heart out to Him. He alone can bring you peace.

((hugs))

A.J. Dub. (Amy) said...

I agree with E. It is a long hard road and there will be changes in the way you feel along the way and you need to let yourself feel the feelings.
Our Heavenly Father loves you all and He knows your pain. Tell Him about it and let Him help you through it.

You know we love you all and we are here for you, whatever you are feeling.

Thanks for sharing with us.

J D C and N said...

It was so fun to visit with you yesterday! And you know, any time you want to talk, vent, get together, whatever...call me! Hope you had a good day at work. :)

debily said...

It's different for every person, but for me, I can't say it gets easier, but it does get less consuming.

My dad never got to meet either of my children. He isn't present at their birthday parties and will never experience watching the wonder and delight in their eyes at Christmas time. Trey will never have a grandpa to go watch airplanes with or build things with or fly kites with. Crisana will never know the joy of snuggling on his lap or giving him a tea party or going for a walk with him to look at butterflies or pick flowers for Grandma.

And knowing that, realizing that, LIVING that is as deeply painful today as it was 8 years ago when Trey was born.

But the grief doesn't consume me any more. The missing him, the hurt of our sudden loss, the sadness of seeing my mom living out her "golden years" alone...it may not be easy but it's not overwhelming.

And yes, there is joy in remembering. There is joy in celebrating the life that was lived, the time we shared, the memories we have together. You will always be left with a hole in your heart that is impossible to fill, but you'll find that there are days it doesn't hurt as much. And somewhere along the line you'll realize that things ARE okay... and that it's okay for things to be okay.

Unknown said...

Torrey -

As one who can relate to the depth of the pain that comes from death of a loved one and doubly so for you all as it was so unexpected, all I can say is I know. And you are right. And it will never be the same.

It will get better, it will change and the pain and absence that is so constant now will lessen. None of it will seem like it happens soon enough.

Keep doing what you are doing...one foot in front of the other, one breath after the other, one day at a time. Talk about your feelings, like you did here, with your friends, with your Mom and of course your Heavenly Father. Be honest...brutally so. Do not try to temper you feelings because you think you 'should'. Just let yourself feel..let it out. It is the only way to move through it.

I would be happy to listen ANY time.

Huge hugs... Alyson